Posted in Dog
Choosing a leash for your dog is simple. It might seem like there are an overwhelming amount of choices out there, but if you know what you need you can filter down to the perfect leash quickly.
First, you can take retractible leashes out. Why? It’s not a safe option because it can be very hard to grab onto the thin string that connects you to your dog, and therefore very difficult to quickly pull your dog out of a potentially dangerous situation.
The highest recommended choice for a dog leash is a 4-6 feet long nylon leash. These leashes provide the most amount of control over your dog and therefore provide the most safety for your dog, yourself, and others around you. For bigger dogs, you will need thicker leashes for more strength.
Whether you choose a 4′ leash or a 6′ leash is entirely up to your preference of how close you would like to keep your dog to you. You may need to try both options before you decide which one you like better. Here are some situations you might want to consider:
4′ leashes are great for:
- small dogs that stick close to you on a walk (so the leash doesn’t drag)
- city walking when you want your dog to stay close
- reactive dogs (barking, lunging) that you want to keep close to you for control
- dogs that aren’t great about paying attention on leash (so you can keep a close eye on them)
- people who don’t like wrapping the leash around their hand to tighten the lead
6′ leashes are great for:
- bigger dogs that might need a little extra range of motion
- suburban walks when you don’t mind giving your dog extra space
- dogs that you can trust on the leash to stay a little farther out
- dogs that are well behaved and will come back to you if you call
- people who don’t mind wrapping the leash around their hand to tighten the lead when needed
Leashes that are 15 feet to 30 feet long are usually meant for training purposes to help train your dog recall. They aren’t meant for city walking, but you may choose to use them if walking in a sparsely populated area where your dog has a lot of room to spread out.
Below are some options for 4′ long leashes.
Standard 4′ Leashes
These are standard, functional, and durable 4′ nylon leashes, with color choices.
Double Thickness 4′ Leashes
These are standard 4′ nylon leashes, with double thickness. The double thickness provides extra strength for large dogs, especially for dogs over 55 pounds or dogs that are strong pullers.
Below are some options for 6′ leashes.
Standard 6′ Leashes
These are standard, functional, and durable 6′ nylon leashes, with color choices.
Double Thickness 6′ Leashes
These leashes are double thickness for large dogs, making it a great choice for dogs over 55 pounds or dogs that are strong pullers.
Reflective 6′ Leashes
These leashes are reflective for added safety for you and your dog. These can be seen up to 200 feet away, and reflect from all sides so that when a car’s headlights hit you, the leash is bright and visible.
Reflective 6′ Leashes: Dogs Under 50 Pounds
These leashes are 3/8″ thick, making it best for dogs under 50 pounds
Reflective 6′ Leashes: Dogs Over 50 Pounds
These leashes are 5/8″ thick, making it best for dogs over 50 pounds. These leashes are durable and thick, and can easily support big dogs over 100 pounds.