Posted in Cat
This article will tell you everything you need to know about cat beds, starting with why you need a cat bed, and ending with a guide to the best cat bed for your cat.
Why do cats need beds?
Cats need beds for many of the same reasons that people need beds, but you’ll also find that having a cat bed will benefit you as well as the cat. Not all cat beds are created equal, so it’s important to understand the benefits in your process of selecting the best cat bed.
Top reasons your cat will be happier with a cat bed
1. Beds are more comfortable than the floor. This may be starting with the obvious, but this simple fact can sometimes be forgotten since many cats seem just fine with sleeping on the floor or other random spots in the house. However, if you find a great cat bed that fits your cat’s preferred sleeping positions, he’ll be infinitely more comfortable. He’ll feel much the same level of comfort that you would feel changing from sleeping on the floor to sleeping on a bed.
2. Cat beds give your cat his own space. Your living space was designed with humans in mind. Humans designed the place and made the rules for when certain rooms and areas can and can’t be accessed by the cat. This is perfectly normal, but in this world built by humans, your cat needs a space that can just be his and his alone. Your cat needs a space that will always be safe and accessible to him. The cat bed will allow your cat the ability to retreat from the activities of the house and relax in a space designated just for that. The sense of security and peace your cat will get from having his own bed is well worth the price.
3. Cat beds ease the stress on bodies and bones. The floor can be rough on bones and joints, especially for older cats or cats with arthritis. Easing the pain by cushioning the joints promotes good health for your cat.
Top reasons you will be happier with a cat bed
1. Your furniture will thank you. Having a comfortable designated place for your cat to relax will encourage your cat to stay off your other furniture like couches and beds. This will protect your furniture from dirt, fur, scratches, and cat smell. It’s both more pleasant for you and saves costs for cleaning and replacing furniture.
2. Your cat will stay out of the way. A cat bed is a safe and comfortable place for your cat to chill out when there is too much going on. This is especially true when you have guests over. Instead of annoying your guests, being in the way, or hiding in an inconvenient place, your cat can retreat to a safe place.
3. Cleaning is easier and simpler. Cats sleep for the majority of the day, so wherever your cat sleeps the most, you will need to clean that spot the most. If you have a machine washable cat bed, you can simply toss it in the wash whenever it accumulates too much hair or starts to smell. That’s much easier than cleaning off your couch.
How to choose a bed for your cat
There are many different types of cat beds for the same reason there are many types of beds for humans: cats have different sleeping preferences. In order to choose the best cat bed for your cat, consider your cat’s sleeping habits and preferences. Below are the main types of cat beds, and tips on discovering which type is best for your cat.
Follow along in this quick flow chart to see what cat bed is best for your cat. Then read the detailed descriptions of the different types below.
Heated Cat Beds
There are three reasons you may want to select a heated cat bed for your cat:
1. Your cat sleeps somewhere cold (basement, garage, etc.).
2. Your cat is senior and has joint pain that can be eased by the heat.
3. Your cat just prefers sleeping somewhere warm.
Any of these three reasons or any combination of them is a great reason to provided a heated cat bed and keep your cat toasty warm while sleeping comfortably. Heated cat beds should have an internal thermostat to keep the temperature at a comfortable and safe level for your cat.
Our highest recommended heated cat bed is below, because it has extra soft, foam walls, and the temperature is controlled to just the right level while maintaining energy efficiency.
Mat Cat Beds
Mats are the simplest type of cat bed since they are just a pad that provides extra cushion and support. These mats are easily moved around, or placed on top of furniture to provide a buffer between your cat’s fur and the furniture.
Donut Cat Beds
Donut cat beds (also called cup beds or circular beds) are a popular choice for a cat bed, because most cats love to curl up in the circular shape provided. It also keeps your cat nice and warm when they sleep in this curled up position agains the cushiony walls.
Covered Cat Beds
Some cats prefer a space that is completely covered like a cave or a den. This provides your cat extra comfort and a sense of security while still being able to watch the world go by. If you notice that your cat usually likes hiding in enclosed spaces like under the bed or under the couch, your cat might consider this type of bed ideal.